Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Do you ALDI?

DO YOU SHOP AT ALDI?

If the answer is "no", AND you're answering with a little turned up nose and snooty-faced brow, then shame on you! (Well, not really, I used to feel the same way about Aldi, but NOT ANYMORE!)

Who couldn't stand to save a buck or two...or three, or four?  I have been shopping there somewhat consistently for the past year or so.  For the last couple of months, since school started back, I've found myself abandoning my dear, sweet Aldi for more convenient choices on the end of town I find myself more often...Kroger.  Now don't get me wrong.  I love Kroger.  Heck, Kroger is like the Nordstrom of grocery stores for someone in my area, and for someone like me that loves to cook!  But, if I could just remember to get myself together every week and go to Aldi, I save so. much. money!

The lastest buy from Aldi is salt and pepper grinders (yesterday)...$1.29 a piece...that's with the sea salt and peppercorns in the grinders!  You just can't beat it! Holidays are an especially good time to go there. They have some great deals on baking stuff!

I have one friend who is afraid to go there to shop and another who swears by it!  (Friend #2 knew a manager at our local Aldi and he swears that many of the products are the same exact  products that we buy in fancy packaging.)  My favorite is when they have special buys like UNO frozen pizzas for $5!
yummo!  And, they sell random things...I bought a handheld mixer there once that's the bomb!

I will say, I haven't bought fresh meat there, but I have bought frozen chicken breast several times---not a bit of difference!  I know, I need to challenge myself and try. (Admittedly, a few things I've bought I didn't love, but hey, that's where Kroger comes in!  ANYWAY, here's a list of things I do get at ALDI and they have been consistent or even better than consistent with large chain grocery store items:

flour
sugar: white, brown, powdered
cake mixes (for chocolate cupcakes)
pudding mix
spices
OLIVE OIL---love Aldi's brand
Canola oil
sour cream
milk
creme
eggs                                                                   
block cheese
cream cheese
fresh mozerella
PITA CHIPS---I mean, the best in the world!
toilet paper
paper towels
baggies
garbage bags
frozen fruit
light bulbs
cleaners
bag salad
seasonal fruit/veggies
canned goods: chili beans, diced tomatoes, soups
broths
dry pasta
tortillas
PITA CHIPS---I mean, the best in the world!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something!  So here's the challenge:  Go to Aldi, see what you can do and compare your receipt!   You'll feel great. By the way, a few things to remember:

                     You will need a quarter to get a cart (no big deal, you get your quarter back when  
                     you return it!)

                     You must take your own bags (plastic, reuseable, whatever!)

                     They only take CASH and DEBIT cards.

P.S.  you can go right to the ALDI website HERE to see weekly specials, special buys, etc.


2 comments:

  1. Joy, I just wanted to stop by & say thanks for your comment on my post today. I'm so glad it helped you & knowing that helps me as well! I'm saying a prayer for you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard that Aldi is owned by the same company as Trader Joes, which is one of my favorite groceries to visit when we are in Charlotte. Sometimes they have the same stuff!

    ReplyDelete