Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Another Recipe..."put 'em up Chili Willi's"

Okay, so I will be the first to say that I LOOOVEE our hometown restaurant Chili Willi's...it's been a favorite since college (back when it was literally a hole in the wall, and you had to air out your coat in the winter because it would smell like Chili Willi's for a week if you didn't!!)  One thing that I've missed though, is a really great chimichanga with green sauce.  A chain restaurant name ChiChi's had a great one years ago, but it's looooong gone (remember downtown, I think where Pullman is now?).  Anyhoo--I cut this recipe out of the Parade Magazine (an insert in the Sunday newspaper) in 2004!  Yes, I do that...cut recipes out, sure I'm going to try them but just never get around to it.  Well, I finally did and oh, my ...amazingly yummy!  AND, they are really not difficult OR time consuming (I've already made them twice in a week, once for a Bible Study dinner and once for my kiddos and me!) So enough for the sell...here's the recipe...

Ingredients

  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
NOTE HERE: I don't like olives so I left them out AND I left out the jalepeno pepper---the sauce was PLENTY hot without it, but hey, you decide :)
  • 5 pitted green olives
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
  • 1 pound shredded cooked chicken meat
I put 3 large chicken breasts in the crockpot on low and let them cook all day...voila, they were ready and perfect when I was ready to make the chimis...
  • 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

Directions

  1. Pour the cream of chicken soup into a blender along with the green chiles, olives, jalapeno, and lime juice. Puree until smooth, then pour into a saucepan, and warm over medium-low heat while proceeding with the recipe.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and taco seasoning until well blended. Fold in the chicken. Evenly divide mixture among the 8 tortillas. Fold each tortilla into a rectangular packet around the filling.
  3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry 4 chimichangas at a time until golden brown, then drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
  4. To serve, place a chimichanga on a plate, and ladle the warm sauce overtop. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and green onions. Finish with a dollop of sour cream.

I hope you love them! You'll have to let me know! 

Have a great day you all!

Joy~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment